Sunday 11 December 2011

The Elevator Pitch

In my working life, I often come across the term 'elevator pitch'; a pithy statement about you and your business that can be  delivered in the time it takes to travel with someone else in a lift.  With so many people desperate to give their elevator pitch, there must be lifts somewhere full of people making earnest eye contact and, perhaps,  doing a quick Powerpoint presentation between floors. 

Being naturally effusive and not that interesting, I've never had an elevator pitch. However, I was reminded of the concept tonight as I tried to think of words to sum up each of the songs on Juice for the Baby.    Whenever someone asks me to describe Spacedog, I always find myself stumped for an adequate description.  I end up either making us sound incredibly naff or so inscrutable the other person wishes they hadn't asked.
Often the trick is to tell them the bits that you think would interest them, which is basically the science bit behind describing your tracks on Bandcamp. We are selling the album and separate tracks on this site, where you can tag each song with descriptors which you believe will attract people to your music.

This is relatively easy if your music fits into a genre - e.g: rock, cabaret -  but when your music crosses genres it becomes a litle more involved.  In addition, you want to describe mood, influences and references as well as genre.  You can see it gets difficult.  

In an attempt to anticipate the sorts of people who might enjoy our tracks or search for music like ours, I ended up settling for terms such as hauntology, radiophonic, English folk, variety, electronica,  not to forget strategic mentions of unusual instruments such as waterphone, theremin and musical saw. Let's just hope an advertising creative desperate for the perfect piece of music for an advert is even now looking up theremin, hauntology and variety.  I like to think they would.

No comments:

Post a Comment